Three-Grain Pilaf with Almonds and Shiitake Mushrooms
Recipe adapted from Union Square Cookbook
1/4 c. wheat berries
1 T. butter
1/4 c. wild rice
1-1/2 c. water
1/4 c. white wine
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
1/4 c. basmati rice
1 c. shiitake mushrooms
1/3 c. coarsely chopped almonds
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1. Soak wheat berries in water for 1-2 hours. *
2. Melt half the butter in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add wild rice and wheat berries; stir well to coat grains. Add the water, white wine, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat, and gently simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Stir in basmati rice and return to a simmer. Continue cooking, covered, without further stirring, for 20 more minutes. Remove from heat and allow to finish steaming, covered, while you prepare mushrooms and almonds.
4. Heat the remaining butter in a large skillet over high heat and saute the shiitake mushrooms until softened, 3-4 minutes. Toss in almonds and cook 3-4 minutes. Stir in scallions and cooked grains. (You can prepare this mixture ahead of time.)
* I have skipped this step if I did not have time and it was fine.